from the 5th to the 9th of August, 2019.
The Mexican Council for Culture and Arts and the Government of the State of Michoacan, through the Conservatorio de las Rosas, invite you to the Nineth Carlos Prieto International Cello Competition organized every three years with the purpose of stimulating cello activity, and attracting the world’s attention toward the Cello.
The singularity of this competition is to promote the enrichment of the cello repertoire and to attract the attention of cellists to Ibero American compositions, by including a required work now being specially composed for the Competition by an important Iberoamerican composer, in addition to the standard cello repertoire.
• $ 10,000 US dollars
• Recording of a CD. It’s program will be agreed with the competition organizers.
• Participation in the Miguel Bernal Jiménez International Music Festival.
• Presentation with the National Simphony Orchestra of Mexico, as well as other concerts and recitals in Mexico and in other countries.
• $ 5 000 US dollars
• $ 2 500 US dollars
Jesús Castro-Balbi (Peru - USA)
Mario Lavista (Mexico)
William Molina (Venezuela)
Philippe Muller (France)
Asier Polo (Spain)
Carlos Prieto (Mexico)
- The competition will take place in the city of Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico, in the Conservatorio de las Rosas, from the 5th to the 9th of August, 2019.
- Cellists from any origin or nationality may participate.
- Contestants must be less than 34 years old at the time of the Competition.
Aspiring contestants must send to the Conservatorio de las Rosas the following documents and materials, before June 5th, 2019:
- Admission Form which may be obtained in the Competition web page (www.carlospreitocellocompetition.com) or may also be requested through e-mail at email@example.com.
- Curriculum Vitae or résumé either in English, Spanish or French, mentioning musical studies, main teachers, diplomas, certificates, prizes, concerts and present professional status.
- Video recording featuring the applicant playing, sent electronically by email or by www.youtube.com. In case of being unable to send the recording by these ways, send it in a DVD format by package service (such as UPS or DHL, NOT by regular mail) to the Conservatorio de las Rosas (VIII International Carlos Prieto Cello Competition, Santiago Tapia 334, Centro Histórico, 58000, Morelia, Michoacán, México) before June 5th,, 2019.
- Two original letters of recommendation, specially written for the Competition, from two well-known musicians.
- Photocopy of passport.
1. The Contest will take place in three stages.
First stage August 5th, 2019
Second stage August 7th, 2019
Final August 9th, 2019
2. The repertoire to be presented by the contestant will be formed by a group of works from the classic cello repertoire, and works by Ibero-american composers.
3. The contestant must clearly include in the admission form which works he/she will perform in each stage according to the set program (see program).
4. The Conservatorio de las Rosas will provide accompanying professional pianists for the contestants.
5. On August 4th 2019 at 20:00 pm will take place the drawing to establish the order of participation for the first eliminatory. This order will be kept for the next stages.
6. The Conservatorio will provide free room and board for the contestants during their active participation in the Competition, starting the night of August 4th and until they are eliminated. Transportation and visa fees, when needed, should be covered by each contestant.
7. The jury may decide not to award the first, second or third place should it consider it appropriate. Any of it’s decisions will be final. The jury may also be able to divide the amounts of the monetary prizes between one or more contestants.
8. Any matter not considered in this document, will be solved by the jury and/or the Organizing Committee.
9. The completed Admission Form as well as all the other documents and the recording must be received at the Competition headquarters on June 5th, 2019, the latest.
10. The aspiring contestants will receive their letter of acceptance to the Competition by email no later than June 12th, 2019.
First Stage – August 5th, 2019
Three works to be played:
- A prelude and a dance selected by contestant to choose among the six suites for solo cello by J.S Bach
- One of the following pieces for solo cello:
Paul Hindemith - Sonata Op. 25 Nº 3 for solo cello
Gaspar Cassado - Suite for solo cello
György Ligeti - Sonata for solo cello
- And the required piece composed specially for the Competition by the mexican composer, Mario Lavista, which will be sent to each contestant as soon as we receive the Admission Form.
Second Stage – August 7th, 2019
- A work by an Ibero-American composer, to choose among the following:
Roberto Gerhard - Sonata for cello and piano (I mov.)
Manuel M. Ponce - Sonara for cello and piano (I mov.)
- And a work, to choose among the following:
Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonata No. 4 (complete)
Claude Debussy - Sonata (complete)
Dmitri Shostakovich - Sonata Op. 40 (two contrasting movements)
Final – August 9th, 2019
One complete work to be selected to be played with orchestra:
Edward Elgar - Concerto
Joseph Haydn - Concerto in D Major (complete version, not the Gevaert version)
Piotr Ilich Tchaikovsky - Rococo Variations (Fitzenhagen version)
Federico Ibarra - Concerto for cello and orchestra
Conservatorio de las Rosas, A.C.
VIII Carlos Prieto International Cello Competition
General manager: Mariol Arias
Academic manager: José Luis Gálvez
E- mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Calle Santiago Tapia 334, Centro Histórico
C.P. 58000, Morelia, Michoacán, México
(52 443) 3121864 / 3121469 / 3131371